Geetingsville Presbyterian Church History
The following accounting of the history of the Geetingsville Presbyterian church has been condensed from the "Geetingsville Church and Community - In Remembrance", 1976.
The following was written by Mrs. M.V. Young, August 1, 1885, in her history of the Lexington Presbyterian Church: "Our fore-fathers, having become convinced that a church was necessary in order to hold that close and constant communion with our Lord Jesus, which is essential to the happiness and prosperity of every peace-loving community, asked and obtained through Rev. Leonard G. Bell, pastor at that time of the First Presbyterian church of Frankfort, who divided his time between the Frankfort church and the Middlefork church, which afterwards became the Rossville Church, permission of the Crawfordsville Presbytery to organized a Presbyterian church in the neighborhood of Andrew Robison, near what is now Geetingsville, Clinton county, Indiana. Accordingly Saturday, August 1, in the year of our Lord, 1835, was set apart for this good work. All in the neighborhood who were holding memberships with the Presbyterian church, together with others favorable to the measure, were invited to be present."
This meeting was held in a barn on the Andrew Robison farm, which was located on the Robison branch, a short distance south of the current Geetingsville Church. This church was called the Bethesda church, meaning "the house of mercy" or "Place of flowing water," so designated in honor of the Bethesda pool at the sheep gate of Jerusalem. The fifth chapter of St. John illustrates the appropriateness of this name for a new church in the wilderness. The organization of this church took place under the direction of the Middlefork session, so named for being situated near the middle fork of the wildcat creek, south of Prince William.
Sunday, August 2, 1835, this church met for the first time after its organization, with Rev. Leonard G. Bell having the honor of conducting its first services, which consisted of a sermon and the administration of the Lord’s Supper. Services were conducted in private dwelling houses, and when the weather permitted, in the grove or farm barn until the winter of 1836, when the growing population impelled these brave pioneers with the necessity of constructing a school house, and a log house was erected very near to the site of the present church in Geetingsville, and was also used for a house of worship.
From April 1837, until August, 1844, the church was supplied by visiting ministers with the exception of one year, when Rev. Jones gave this church half-time service. On August 25th, 1844 the officers of the church deemed it proper to change the name from Bethesda to the Lexington Presbyterian church. On January 28, 1854, the Hyde Park church (later to become Geetingsville) was dedicated, this church being located one mile north of Geetingsville. The North Fork church, near Cutler and two miles north of Lexington was completed in the fall of 1860, and later became the Cutler Presbyterian Church.
In 1885 the church building at Geetingsville was constructed on a small plot of ground which was a part of the land deeded to Andrew Robison in 1883 by the United States government. The bricks used to build the church were made and fired in a kiln in Geetingsville. This was one of the first brick rural churches in the area and was considered quite an outstanding structure. The new house of worship was dedicated February, 1886. On May 26, 1907 the Lexington Presbyterian church was officially separated into the Cutler Presbyterian church and the Geetingsville Presbyterian church.
A congregational meeting in September, 1944 began the process of determining needs of the church and formation of an investigating committee and subsequent finance committee. At the annual congregational meeting on April 4, 1945, a building committee was formed to pursue an educational addition and remodeling project. Most of the labor for this project was donated by friends and members of the church, with the exception of the architect and the builder. After over two years of hard labor and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the educational addition and remodeling project were completed in September 1949. All of this led to the rededication ceremonies on September 4, 1949.
Many additions and projects have taken place since then, and the Holy Spirit is still directing this church located in Geetingsville. Many people have contributed a great deal to furthering the work and mission of this congregation over the years.
"With our hope for the future, we place our trust in God and in those who will continue to live this history."
The above text represents excerpts and was condensed from: "Geetingsville Church and Community – In Remembrance" pamphlet published 1976. This booklet is contained in the church library and contains a detailed accounting of church history and events.